|"Home-Made" Freight Motor|
at South Lyons, Michigan on March 21, 1970
The Brighton site was also home to one other large unusual "critter." It was an ungainly looking freight motor whose actual history still remains shrouded 46 years after the above picture was taken. One report shows that it was built in 1920 by American Car & Foundry for the Interstate Public Service's electrified lines. A second report suggest the electric loco was built in 1917 for the Kansas City, Kaw Valley & Western. The two histories converge on the Indiana Railroad's roster of 1931. The loco underwent a major rebuilding and became Southern Indiana Railway #750 (an IRR subsidiary).
Sold in 1948 to American Aggregates, the #750 received another heavy rebuilding at the hands of Greenville Manufacturing Co. in Ohio. The installation of a diesel engine was a major component of the 54-ton locomotive's modernization.
R. Craig photo
Reference Sources: Extra 2200 South (Sept. & Oct. 1969, and Nov. & Dec. 1969)
Return to The Diesel Shop